Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Just a thought and a Family Home Evening message


Because we have hard water and the showers can get pretty dirty, I spray Clean shower and also use a squeegee to keep the glass shower doors clean. The spray prevents soap scum and hard water build up and the door stays clean without residue.  The other day as I was spraying the doors I had a thought, a simple thought, that just as I spray the doors with clean shower everyday and it helps the doors stay clean, prayer, scripture reading, church and temple attendance help strengthen us and stay clean from the things of the world.  I then thought that I could use this example for family home evening, so we did.  I took the kids to the bathroom and we sprayed the shower.  We talked about how using it everyday keeps the shower clean. If we did not use it then the shower would get really dirty, we could clean it but it would be hard and time consuming because hard water stain is very difficult to clean.  It is better to prevent and keep it clean everyday plus it looks pretty all clean and shiny.  Then we read some scriptures; Ephesians 6:13-18, "Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."  When we do those things that invite the Spirit into our lives, those things that will make us strong, we are putting on the whole armour of God (clean shower spray) and we will be able withstand the many trials and tests (hard water) that we go through in this life. When we do these things we will have the "shield of faith to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked."  Heavenly Father is wonderful and loving and if we fall we can repent and come back.  We don't always do the things we are suppose to, unfortunately, but there is a way, through Jesus Christ's atonement that we can repent and we can be forgiven of our sins.  It can be very painful and difficult to repent (like cleaning a very dirty shower with hard water stains) but it can be done because our Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to come back to Him. Through repentance we can be clean and shiny again.  







2 comments:

Evaly said...

Great thought! Thanks for sharing.

Becky Shuler said...

What a good analogy! Well done!