Friday, September 6, 2013

Heavenly Father KNOWS US, LOVES US AND TRUST US to do our part in His kingdom!

 Last night we had the pleasure of being trained by the General Relief Society President Linda K. Burton. Sister Jean A. Stevens, first counselor in the General Primary Presidency and sister Carol McConkie, first counselor in the General Young Women Presidency. I did not get a picture with Sister Stevens. In the past we have been asked not to take pictures and not to post anything on social media. This time was different, pictures were taken and the sister that was assigned to take pictures for our Stake public affairs is in my Ward and she is going to post them and even write an article about their visit.  Social media can be a great missionary tool when used properly.  We were asked by our Stake President, President Shill to be at the Stake Offices to welcome Sister Burton, Sister Stevens and Sister McConkie when they came in. There were seven Stakes invited to attend the training but we were the Host Stake so we had the honor to welcome them and speak with them for a few minutes.  They are amazing sisters! After the opening and a few remarks from Elder Hymus of the Seventy and Elder Munns of the Seventy we were divided into our groups. The RS stayed in the Chapel while the Primary and Young Women were divided in the cultural hall.  Sister Burton gave a wonderful training. I felt the Spirit so strong.  I felt that how now more than ever it is so important to help the sisters in our Stake be strong spiritual leaders in their homes and at church.  She started out by asking,  What is it that you want to get out of this meeting, what do you want to learn?  She asked us to write it down.  I wrote, How can I better serve the sisters in our Stake, how can I magnify my calling?  She said that she wanted to talk about some goals we should have for the sisters and for ourselves: 1. Individual conversion. 2. Strengthening families. 3.  Strengthening Ward councils. 4.  Improving the use of  missionaries in the Ward. 5. Leadership principles.  She used the Handbook of instructions of the church a lot and the Daughters in my kingdom manual for her training.  First we need to learn who we are. WE ARE: BELOVED daughters of our Heavenly Father. Not just daughters but BELOVED daughters!! He loves us!! We are also DEDICATED disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ and part of a great Worldwide SISTERHOOD.  Heavenly Father KNOWS US, LOVES US AND TRUST US to do our part in His kingdom.   We must be PREACHERS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS,  a BEACON FOR OTHERS TO FOLLOW and PLANT SEEDS OF THE GOSPEL IN OTHERS to be harvested. She spoke a lot about the importance of the Church Handbook.  The handbook facilitates Revelation. It is a THIN manual to run a WORLDWIDE church, BECAUSE the Lord TRUSTS us, that we will PREPARE ourselves spiritually to receive revelation.  Study the instructions in the handbook.  Pay attention to the Spirit and learn your duties. She spoke about missionary work and how we can utilize the sister missionaries to serve our RS sisters, by inviting them to teach additional RS lessons and to visit the less active, the newly baptized sisters and by going on splits with the sisters in the ward. She also told us that we should be ministering to the missionaries, making sure they are fine and taken care of, that we watch over them, by doing so we are helping the mission president's wife.  I thought about this and I was in tears thinking about Alison on her mission in Italy and how I hope that the members were ministering to her and watching out for her.  She also spoke about the Atonement and what part  the atonement plays in preparing the sisters in our Wards and Stake and ourselves to increase in faith.  She asked us: What scriptures have blessed your life and increased your knowledge and understanding of the atonement? She said that studying Alma 7: 11, 12 has helped and blessed her life. She taught us that to help the sisters increase their faith we also teach the sisters about the Priesthood.  She said to study the Priesthood so we can teach others about it.  I was impressed that I should learn more about the Priesthood so that is something I will work on.  She said something I really loved and I feel it is so important,  Relief Society Sunday lessons are LEARNING EXPERIENCES AND DISCUSSIONS WHERE WE "LEARN TOGETHER AND GROW TOGETHER".  Where it is safe to say I DON'T KNOW! We should create an environment where we can ask questions because we are not afraid to be JUDGED OR OFFENDED.  WE CAN LEARN FROM ONE ANOTHER! She taught us that Ward RS Presidencies need to prepare spiritually as a presidency and counsel with the Bishop.  That they need to prepare spiritually for Ward Council.  She mentioned Jacob 5:72, We need to labor with all our might and obey all the commandments of the Lord in all things.  We have made covenants with him that we would do these things, that we would be obedient, that we will always remember HIM.  She shared 3 Nephi 5:13, We are disciples of Christ and have been called to share the gospel, to declare HIS word to the people.  I have often thought about how Blessed I am to know the truth and there are so many out there that don't and there are so many that do and are not living as they should.  As His disciples we have been commanded to help those in need and help those who have gone astray and those who don't know yet about the gospel.  She asked us: How did the Savior teach?  We answered: with LOVE, PATIENCE, CHARITY, WITH STORIES, WITH EXAMPLES, WITH THE SCRIPTURES AND INVITING OTHERS TO COME TO HIM.  I wish I could remember all the answers that were given but these are some of them.  We need to follow the Saviors example when we teach the sisters.  These leadership principles first take place in the home where we learn to apply them with our families.  We should be spiritual leaders in our homes, and follow the Saviors example of teaching our families with love, patience and invite them to come to Christ by being a good example and by being obedient to all Heavenly Father's commandments.  We must love one another and be respectful of one another, we are all children of our Heavenly Father. She mentioned the Bible video of the Good Samaritan and how we must have charity Moroni 7:45-48,  Charity is the pure love of Christ if ye have not charity, ye are nothing!   This is how we must treat each other, we must pray for each other, we must take action and tap into the Spirit by fasting, going to the temple, reading our scriptures and doing all the things that will invite the Spirit into our lives so that it will be a guide to us as we are doing the Lord's work on the earth.  We all have a work to do, and the purpose of each church calling is to become strong, more like the Savior!  


Talking with Sister Linda Burton about missionary work.  She spoke about it in the training and on this picture we were talking about Alison and obviously I was in tears.  She was telling me right here how I had been a good mother because she was serving her mission and she was blessing the lives of the people of Italy!! She is a lovely lady and so friendly!!!
Me, Sister Burton and sister Johanna Lopez (Stake Relief Society President)

Sister McConkie (first counselor in the General YW Presidency) with sister Lopez
The Orlando South Stake RS Presidency with the General RS President.  From left me (1st counselor) Diane Wingate (secretary), Sister Linda K. Burton (General RS President), Sister Johanna Lopez (Stake RS President) and Peggy Snow (2nd counselor).



1 comment:

Becky Shuler said...

You took such good notes from you meetings!!! I felt the Spirit so strongly as I read what you shared. I am so excited about tomorrow! I know I will be so spiritually uplifted and inspired! How lucky that you got to be in some pictures with them! :) I LOVE THIS POST! Thank you for sharing your testimony!