Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Answer to prayers

Talking about politics is a sore subject these days, and it is getting worse. I have been feeling bad about all the things going on in Puerto Rico. Brent and I are going this weekend to PR. I haven't been in 4 years. I am very excited but with the protests going on it's a little scary. Lately I have been thinking a lot about how I want to make the right choice when I vote. I try to listen and be informed. We are living in a time where the media doesn't tell you the truth, or just tell half truths. You can not trust the news anymore, it is more of an opinion and then attacking the opponent. I want the truth and I want to hear the news without the opinion of the newscaster who is trying to persuade you to vote for his political party. On Sunday the High Counselor, Brother Brock Shields gave a talk on religious freedom. He mentioned how in school his son was taught that the English came to America because they were bored of England and wanted to come to a new place. HELLO!! How dare they teach that!! I don't like where things are going now a days. It is plain wrong! They came because they wanted religious freedom. It seems that now we can not talk about religion. People get offended when you mention God and His gospel. People are not following the commandments. The world is in chaos.

Today I said a prayer to Heavenly Father to help me make good decisions when I go vote. After my prayer I felt I should google "the last days". A talk from Harold B. Lee's BYU speeches came up on my search. It is called, "Be Ye Not Deceived". He was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and gave this devotional on May 4, 1965, four months before I was born. In it he says, "When elections draws near we hear the members who say, Why doesn't the church tell us how to vote? I can't think of anything that would bring more of a greater wholesale apostasy than if we would assume to do that, and I say to Lord has told you how to vote. You read the 134 Section of the Doctrine and Covenants, the 3rd verse says: 

3 We believe that all governments necessarily require civil officers and magistrates to enforce the laws of the same; and that such as will administer the law in equity and justice should be sought for and upheld by the voice of the people if a republic, or the will of the sovereign.

That is what the Lord says. And then I say to them read Mosiah. Mosiah's wise counsel, he said, 
25 Therefore, choose you by the voice of this people, judges, that ye may be judged according to the laws which have been given you by our fathers, which are correct, and which were given them by the hand of the Lord.
26 Now it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right; but it is common for the lesser part of the people to desire that which is not right; therefore this shall ye observe and make it your law—to do your business by the voice of the people.

Now I say to them that if you don't know how to vote after you read those two things you are more dumb than I think you are. Any true Latter Day Saint can know how to vote.

Heavenly Father answered my prayer by way of President Harold B. Lee speech. Amazing!


No comments: