Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sleep problems and cherry smoothie

Parker is having a hard time falling asleep. I read that it is normal for teenagers because they experience changes in their biological clock or circadian rhythms because of the onset of puberty. They tend to fall asleep later and wake up later. This is a problem for Parker because he has to go to bed early and wake up early for seminary. Teenagers feel more alert in the evening and so they don't want to go to sleep. I also read somewhere that they did a study where a High School started later and the kids did better in school because they got to sleep in later. Well that is not going to happen for Parker. I was watching the Doctors the other day and they actually talked about this and that you shouldn't give teenagers melatonin supplements because they don't know the long term effects of it. I take melatonin and we actually thought of giving it to him so I am glad to have watched that episode. Well, they suggested a smoothie that should help him fall asleep.

Cherry smoothie
Cherry juice-the richest source of melatonin
bananas-They are lowfat and have magnesium which has a calming effect and are a great late night snack
Soymilk-has aminoacids that your body uses to make serotonin which has a calming effect

mix all ingredients in a blender.

I made it tonight and it is really good!!! I hope it works!!

1 comment:

shari berry bo-berry said...

wow...we give jakob melatonin almost every night. because of his adhd - plus his medication - he has a really hard time falling asleep. he just can't turn his brain off! i will have to try that smoothie sometime! it sounds good...and jakob's favorite flavor is cherry!