I have decided that I need to do better at writing down my impressions when they come, so I don't forget them. I always have the intention of doing this but life happens and then I forget to write it down and by the time I go to write the impression down I have forgotten what the impression was all about. So here it goes. I was reading on LDS.org a series of interviews with members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Elder Holland was talking about an experience he had.
Here an excerpt from the article:
As president of Brigham Young University in the early 1980s, Elder Holland attended a meeting at the Church Administration Building with members of the BYU Board of Trustees. Included in the meeting were members of the First Presidency: President Spencer W. Kimball, President N. Eldon Tanner, and President Marion G. Romney.“I remember thinking, almost weeping, at how tired they looked,” Elder Holland said of the seasoned leaders who in any other circumstance would be spending their retirement years relaxing. Because of their calling to senior Church leadership “they were just working, working, working, working.”Then the meeting started and “all three simply came alive. The mantle of their calling settled on them and they became energized. They were engaged in the conversation. They knew the issues. If it was financial, they knew the financial implications. If it was numerical and how many members of the Church it affected, they knew that. The longer the meeting went on the more energized they got, until by the end I was exhausted. I was tired and they were fresh. They were renewed.” Elder Holland said he has carried that image with him for a long time. “It still sustains me.” The image reminds him of something President Kimball said about moments like that. “My life is like my shoes,” President Kimball said. “I’m determined to wear them out in the service of the Lord.”
When I read the words from President Kimball "my life is like my shoes. I'm determined to wear them out in the service of the Lord", I immediately thought of my husband Brent. These are his Sunday shoes and are getting worn. I marvel at his dedication to the gospel. He is such a great example to me of hard work. He works hard at his calling of Bishop. He spends hours upon hours worrying about and praying for the members of the Lake Reams Ward. I worry so much about him. On Wednesdays he goes straight to church for interviews without eating dinner, on Sundays he goes to church early at 7:00 AM and doesn't come home until 4:00 PM and is hungry but he is so happy to serve the Lord. He is often tired and at times falls asleep on the stand but I know the Lord sustains him and carries him through while he is in this calling. He also has a family to support and works hard for us in the office and travels once a month. Indeed, he has worn out many shoes.
I am so thankful he is my husband! I don't know what I did to deserve him as my husband. He makes me a better person. I pray the Lord will keep him healthy so that he can continue doing what he loves, to serve the Lord.

1 comment:
We are happy to have him as our new bishop!
Post a Comment