Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Loved back into activity

I love to read the Ensign.  I was reading This article in the April Ensign.  It brought to mind of a time when I was little maybe 11 or so and my dad was offended by something someone had said at church, something silly but it caused him to not go to church for a time, what I thought was an eternity but it was only like one month or so.  My mom was patient and loving with him.  Luckily my dad had a strong testimony and came back to church.  But I have seen time after time how people go inactive for a long period of time and it is very difficult for them to come back.  They feel embarrassed to come back to church and worry about what people might say about them.  That is sad because the church is full of imperfect people!  Jesus was concerned with "THE ONE" and we should do the same.  We should make those who are returning to church feel welcomed and loved.

In this article this lady's son went inactive.  He pierced his ears and quit going to seminary and church.  But, everyone was kind and loving towards him.  They all showed charity towards him which helped him eventually go back to full activity.  His brothers and sisters invited him to activities.  His grandpa made a huge difference by calling him once a week just to talk about everything.  Neighbors would include him in many activities and even helped with his Eagle Scout project.  He was not criticized for his long hair or his choices. A neighbor gave him odd jobs to do and even wrote letters of recommendation for him.  How wonderful for parents when this happens, you feel relief to see everyone helping you in your efforts to help your child.  You feel the love and concern for your son or daughter when everyone is helping you bring back that wayward child.  But all too often it is the opposite.  It is sad when people walk away from those who need it most, judging because they are not doing what is right.  I can't believe they are doing that? or I can't believe their parents let them do that? or They are never going to change?, so they say. That is not what the Savior taught.  He taught us, CHARITY, THE PURE LOVE OF CHRIST.   We often think of charity as bringing a meal to a mother who just had a baby or to a sister who is sick and visiting someone who is in the hospital.  All those are acts of charity, and they are wonderful but they are not the only way to show charity.

President Monson said:  "None of us is perfect, I know of no one who would profess to be so.  And yet, for some reason, despite our own imperfections, we have a tendency to point out those of others. We make judgments concerning their actions or inactions.  I consider charity-or pure love of Christ- to be the opposite of criticism and judging.  In speaking of charity, I do not at this moment have in mind the relief of suffering through the giving of substance.  That, of course, is necessary and proper.  Tonight, however, I have in mind the charity that manifests itself when we are tolerant of others and lenient toward their actions; the kind of charity that forgives; the kind of charity that is patient.  "I have in mind the charity that that impels us to be sympathetic, compassionate and merciful, not only in time of sickness and affliction and distress, but also in times of weakness or error on the part of others." 

Our Heavenly Father loves each one of us, whether we are active in the church or not.  He wants for us to return to live with Him and He needs our help to help those who need love and encouragement to return to church.  We do this by being loving and patient, by inviting them to come to Christ and NOT by rejecting them and make them feel worst than the probably already feel.




1 comment:

the Rogers' Neighborhood said...

Our ward growing up was terrible with this and I think it had a big effect on us. I hope wherever we raise our kids, it's in a ward like the one in that story, full of loving, charitable people.