Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I love Conner's school and teacher

Today I had a parent/teacher conference with Conner's teacher.  I am so convinced that moving Conner to this school was the BEST thing for him.  Ever since he was in pre-school he has had struggles with making friends and having kids not accept him. I know it is because of the issues that he has, I can't even explain them but he has social issues. His classmates in pre-school at times were not kind to him and then in kindergarten they would tell him "you are not our kind" and they would not play with him.  He would come home crying.  It kept happening in all the other grades and his teachers would just say he had issues and kind of turned it back on him like it was all his fault and so his teachers at the other school were no help.  His teacher today was so nice, she was telling me, before I even said anything about what had happened at the other school, she said that she noticed that the other kids were not being nice to Conner and she did not like that. She warned them and told them to stop and if they did not she would call in all of their parents and have a talk with them.  I was holding back my tears, for the first time somebody cared, somebody was on our side!!! Conner is a good kid, who wants to have friends, but has issues that annoy other kids and because of that he gets labeled.  She said Conner is very smart and academically he has no problems!! His problems are mostly social behavior.  She asked me if his pediatrician ever said anything about Autism or Aspergers.  I said no but that we are working with an occupational therapist who suggested I speak with the Psychologist about OCD.  I looked at asperger online and I think his teacher might be right.  I will speak to the psychologist and see what she has to say.  His teacher said that there is a boy in another 3rd grade class that has become Conner's best friend.  They are always together, she said that they are very similar and so they get along well.  The 3rd grade teachers have decided that for the next school year Conner and this boy will be placed in the same class!!

2 comments:

Brittany and Bronson said...

That's so great that he has a friend and I'm glad that he has an awesome teacher this year :)

Evaly said...

I'm so glad he has a good teacher who will help you figure this out! What a blessing. Hope things get easier soon.