Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My new Passion

I have always wanted to take up jogging, but everytime I tried it, my legs and feet just hurt too much. Now that Brittany is having her baby, Brent has asked me to work for about a month an a half until Alison gets here and starts working for him. I don't want to give up my exercise (doctor's orders), but my dance classes are not at a convenient time, and by the time I get done it's too late to make it to the office. I can only stay there until 2:00 PM since I have to go and get Conner from school. Now that my physical therapist taught me how to make an insert for my left shoe the pain from dancing is gone. I thought maybe running won't hurt so much and I can do that early in the morning and still be able to make it to the office. Well, I started with baby steps, jogging a little and walking a little. I LOVE it, my feet and legs don't hurt me at all. Today for the first time I was able to run 2 1/4 mile, that might not seem like a lot, but considering my left foot is weird and that I have not been able to do it, I think that is GREAT. I won't give up my dancing though, I will do that on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Next week I have an appointment at Hanger Prosthetics and Orthotics where they are going to make me an insert for my shoe, so I don't have to make a homemade insert anymore. I am so excited to have one made. A good thing about running is that it helps increase your HDL (good cholesterol) which is a big problem for me. Less than 40 mg/dl is very low, mine has gone up from 30 to 38 after 2 years of medication and exercise. So I am hoping that running will help it. My doctor is very concern about heart desease, (after menopause your chances of heart desease increase), that is why we are trying hard to increase it.

4 comments:

Brittany and Bronson said...

Haha 2 1/4 miles I bet I won't be able to run one mile for a long time after having Brinley. I am so out of shape.

the Rogers' Neighborhood said...

2 1/4 miles is far!! Way to go, Mom!!

shari berry bo-berry said...

great Maria! Keep it up! i'm glad to hear your foot is feeling better with the insert!

Sara said...

that is so good! I am so excited to hear that your foot is doing better.