Tuesday, December 24, 2019

December 16th, 2019

My post on Facebook on December 16th, 2019

Today in Light the world one by one you are to Learn about one of your ancestors and share their story. I want to share a story that Brent’s grandma Isabelle Dunn Hanson shared on the Ensign in March of 1981. I met grandma Hanson and she was a wonderful grandma and great-grandma. A great example to us all. She mentions her oldest son in the story, that was Bruce, Brent’s dad.


A Warning in the Night

It was a hot summer night in August, and my husband, Lynn, and our six children were asleep in the car. I had taken over driving just out of Rock Springs, Wyoming, so that my husband might rest. We could be at his parents’ home by midnight, he said, so it was best we go on. We were en route to Idaho from St. Louis, Missouri, where Lynn studied dentistry.
Soon after turning off Highway 30 and taking 30N toward Bear Lake, I came to a detour sign that sent me to the right on a dirt road. I drove for quite some time, thinking I would soon see a sign to put me back on the main road. But the road got rougher and rougher. Suddenly out of the stillness came a very clear voice: “Stop!”
I stepped on the brakes, and since I had been driving very slowly was able to stop almost instantly. Seven sleepy heads popped up to inquire: “Where are we? What’s the matter? Why did we stop here?”
All I could say was, “A voice told me to stop. Something must be wrong.” My husband took the flashlight and got out of the car—and found the front wheels on the edge of a canal.
By this time I was shaking, so Lynn took the wheel and our older son guided him back. As we retraced our path, we noticed a very small sign that pointed back to the main highway—so small I had missed it in the darkness. Eight heads bowed in grateful thanks.

No comments: