Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Ponce de Leon Inlet lighthouse

We visited Ponce de Leon Inlet lighthouse in Port Orange. It is funny that growing up I was not interested in history but now that I enjoy genealogy, I love to learn about history, but especially since finding out that Juan Ponce de Leon is my 15th great-grandfather. It is so fascinating to me. I love the fact that I grew up in Ponce, Puerto Rico, and the city is named after Juan Ponce de León y Loayza, great-grandson of Juan Ponce de Leon. His birth name is Juan Troche Ponce de Leon y Loayza but he changed it. My 14th great-grandmother Juana Ponce de Leon and daughter of Juan Ponce de Leon is Juan Ponce de León y Loayza's grandmother. His parents were Juan Garcia Troche y Ponce de Leon and Isabel de Loayza de Guzman, I come from Juan Garcia Troche Ponce de Leon's sister, Maria Troche y Ponce de Leon.  I enjoy looking at my family tree and learning about all these people who were conquistadores and had a very important role in the history of the world.  I am Juan Ponce de Leon's great-granddaughter not just on one line but on three. Two lines are my maternal grandmother's line, on both her parents. The third line is my dad's Gonzalez line. It is so fascinating, and I wish I knew this a long time ago, but we didn't have the technological advances we have now. I am now in a group called Descendants of Antonio Ramirez de Arellano family on facebook. The lady that is the administrator has done a lot of research on the line. Our ancestor Antonio Ramirez de Arellano is a direct descendant of Ponce de Leon, Antonio is my 8th great-grandfather, my grandmother Eugenia Ramirez' (de Arellano) is Antonio's 6th great-granddaughter. My grandmother's grandfather stopped using de Arellano in their last name so it was just Ramirez. I had my Ancestry DNA done and on that facebook page they taught me how to download my raw DNA into gedmatch. Once it is downloaded you can compare to others. I have found tons of cousins on the Ramirez de Arellano facebook page!! I have found 2nd, 3rd,4th cousins and beyond!! If we are lucky we can trace it to our common ancestor. Sometimes it can be difficult if the person hasn't done their genealogy like I have. But it is fun and addicting!




No comments: