Monday, June 13, 2011

“One Thing Needful”: Becoming Women of Greater Faith in Christ - Ensign Oct. 1987

“One Thing Needful”: Becoming Women of Greater Faith in Christ - Ensign Oct. 1987





If you are like me, there have been many times that you have felt like you don't measure up, or you don't do enough. We notice what other women are doing, maybe they are more patient with their children, they love to cook delicious, homemade meals everynight, Martha Stewart style, they sew all their kids clothes, they have the perfect body even after having 10 KIDS, or their hair and makeup is always perfect. Why do we compare ourselves? Why do we do that? Or we may, heaven forbid, talk bad, like they got what they deserve, because they are not doing what's right instead of lovingly help them back into the church. Why do we compete with each other, why are we so mean sometimes? I have learned and it has taken a long time that we all have different talents, strengths and many things that we do right. But we all have our fears and weaknesses, and imperfections. I loved this talk by sister Patricia Holland, who knew that she also has felt this way!! I can happily say today that I am doing better at not judging myself and others, I don't care if they play the piano better than me!! I am doing the best I can and I don't expect to be a concert pianist, I do it because I LOVE it. I don't care anymore if I am short, SO WHAT, I am just fine the way I am!! I have truly learned to love myself, my imperfect self and HATE to compare myself with others. I have lived long enough and been through enough stuff that I have learned many lessons, and you know what when you are trying your hardest to do what is right, reading your scriptures, saying your prayers, having family home evening, going to church, attending the temple, fulfilling your calling and being kind to others, you can truly be happy and not worry about comparing yourselves with others. By doing what you are supposed to you will know how much your Heavenly Father loves you. What I like to do is compare myself with myself, am I doing better than yesterday? and if I am, then everything is good!!!

Read her talk, is long but worth it!!!


2 comments:

Becky Shuler said...

Good for you, Maria! I think you are beautiful and kind and nice. I appreciate your service to me and my family when we came to the temple last December. Thanks for opening your home to us and helping us find a babysitter for our children. You are a wonderful person and I'm glad you aren't worried about comparing yourself to others. I ♥ you!

the Rogers' Neighborhood said...

I'm the same way, Mom. And it can get really depressing! But you should know that I've always admired you and if I can become half the mother and person you are, I know I'll be doing great :) I love you!!