Last week I got an email about an attempted abduction. This happened at an elementary school just down the street from Conner's pre-school and 10 minutes from our home. The little girl was on her way home from school when she noticed a car sitting at the stop sign in the bus loop at her school. She proceeded on her way home when all of a sudden the car sped up and came to an abrupt stop within close proximity of the girl, so close that the tires were on the sidewalk. The couple in the car told her to "GET IN THE CAR". Fortunately she rode her bike as fast as she could and got away. Her dad asked her how she knew what to do? She said she remembered the safety program she took in school about 3 years ago where she was told to run in the other direction if someone tried to pick you up.
When you hear something like this a lot of things go through your mind. I became more paranoid than I already am. But after a few days everything goes back to normal and you kind of forget about it. Then today I got another email from our home owners association president, and she said that yesterday a mom from our neighborhood was waiting for the elementary school bus to arrive. When her daughter got off the bus she wanted to walk home instead of riding in her car. As she started walking she saw this man parked at the entrance of our neighborhood. He approached her and tried to get her to come to him. This mom yelled and blew her horn and her daughter ran back to her car, and he drove off.
I can't believe this happened right in my neighborhood. This goes to show that you can never be too careful. We definitely need to keep a watchful eye on our kids and make sure they know how to act if they are ever in situations such as these. I found this website that has good information on how to teach our kids about stranger danger. http://www.pollyklaas.org/safe/talk-to-strangers.html
No comments:
Post a Comment